Behavioral Based Interview Questions by Competency (downloadable pdf) Sample interview questions that get at specific competencies in alphabetical order. What strengths are required for the position? Ask questions that will allow your applicants to show (or not show) their stuff.
● Describe a situation where you had a conflict with another individual, and how you dealt with it. What was the outcome? How do you feel about it?
● Describe a time in which you were faced with problems or stresses which tested your coping skills. What did you do?
● Describe a time when you facilitated a creative solution to a problem between two employees.
● Give a specific example of a time when you used good judgment and logic in solving a problem.
● Give an example of a problem which you faced on any job that you have had and tell how you went about solving it.
● Give an example of when you “went to the source” to address a conflict. Do you feel trust levels were improved as a result?
● Problems occur in almost all work relationships. Describe a time when you had to cope with the resentment or hostility of a subordinate or coworker.
● Some problems require developing a unique approach. Tell about a time when you were able to develop a different problemsolving approach.
● Sometimes the only way to resolve a defense or conflict is through negotiation and compromise. Tell about a time when you were able to resolve a difficult situation by finding some common ground.
● Sometimes we need to remain calm on the outside when we are really upset on the inside. Give an example of a time that this happened to you.
● Tell us about a recent success you had with an especially difficult employee/coworker.
● Tell us about a situation in which you had to separate the person from the issue when working to resolve issues.
● Tell us about a time when you identified a potential problem and resolved the situation before it became serious.
● There is more than one way to solve a problem. Give an example from your recent work experience that would illustrate this.